By Susan Greene
The first dish we are bringing to the table from our grandmother’s recipe box is one which has also made it into the family cookbook Catherine compiled a few years back. I don’t remember the exact occasion when I first tasted this dish. It could have been at a family party or a dinner served during a weekend visit. I do remember thinking it was delicious and wanting to have it again. It is simple to prepare and yet impressive, two of my favorite qualities in a dish. Fresh tomatoes could be used in the summertime when they are readily available.
- 1 – 1 pound can of whole tomatoes, quartered
- 4 slices of toast or 1 1/2 cup of croutons ( I used a combination of the two, I had some leftover bread to use up, so cubed it and toasted it in the oven)
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1/4 cup melted butter, or olive oil
- 1 cup cubed mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cubed cheddar cheese
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Combine all ingredients in a 1 1/2 – 2 quart casserole dish.
Here’s to warm, yummy comfort food for your weekend.